- Parental love is largely unrequited. Parents ALWAYS love their children more than those children will love them back.
- Peanut butter is a daily staple (often just a bite off the end of a knife!).
- "Don't pay us back, pay for your children. It's our job to take care of you and will be your job to take care of them."
- The best hiker hikes at the back.
- How to do back hand stands/flips (ie, the picture and multiple nights on our living room floor!).
- Always do more than your fair share.
- A corollary is that marriage is NOT a 50-50 proposition. You just give your all, and leave the other person to give what they can.
- There are no such thing as 'odds' in medicine. You'll either be healed or you won't.
- "Crud" (which the worst word he ever said) meant he was REALLY, REALLY mad.
- It never hurts to say you're sorry, even if you don't believe you're in the wrong.
- If you're not willing to do something, you shouldn't expect anyone else to either (in my case, this usually related to housework).
- Doing your best is more important than being the best.
- Leave a place better than you found it.
That's 13. One of the last thing he teased me about was that I didn't know my 'thirteens.' (13 times tables). I still don't but these 13 things represent a lifetime of things he taught my siblings and me that have made us who we are.
Happy Father's Day in God's throne-room, Daddy.
I love and miss you.
See you in the morning...