A woman I've known since before she could walk posted a list of random facts about herself on Facebook this week and challenged her FB friends to both like, then post a pre-determined (by her precocious and adorable children) number of facts about ourselves. I did like her facts, though I knew most (or perhaps all) of them. As I say, I've known her since she was a babe in her mother's very faithful, loving arms. This woman's aunt was one of my closest friends in college, but over the long years since then, I've had more than a passing acquaintance with about a dozen of the extended family--and it's a great one.
This leads me to my own list, which will number 9. That's the number I was given. I requested a low number, because I'm not sure I can think up 17 or even 12 things most people don't know about me. Nine seems iffy, but I'll give it my best shot.
1. I was born in San Pedro, California but moved to Washington when I was 3 weeks old.
2. I flew on an airplane for the first time when I was 3 weeks old. (See how these two dovetail?)
3. I've lived in three countries (the US, the Netherlands and India), four states (all three of the Pacific coast states and Michigan), and 13 cities (I'm not going to list all of these, but the shortest name is Epe, in the Netherlands and the longest is Ypsilanti, Michigan!) in my 56 years. (Ed: my brother just reminded me that Bellingham is actually a longer name than Ypsilanti, of course. However, Ypsilanti is just sooo strange to say. AND it's the first address I ever learned: 1111 Lori Street, Ypsilanti, MI. so I stick by my choice!)
4. I'm a crazy, crazy football fan. If you look closely, you'll be able to see me with my face painted, screaming at the TV from the comfort of my living room. The first pro-game I ever went to was with Beve's sister's husband. And that's saying something!
5. In the last two and a half years, I've lost 45 pounds. Feeling pretty good about that, especially when a doctor was talking to me last week about other things and said, "One thing in your favor is that you're not overweight." WHAT? Not overweight? For the first time in decades? AMAZING.
6. Speaking of that, I'm having disc-fusion surgery next month on my neck. C6-C7. Can you read sarcasm here? If so, read this appropriately: I'm REALLY looking forward to it. Seriously, though, this has been a long time coming--like a decade. So I'm hopeful that it'll make my life better.
7. I no longer cook. I mean, like EVER. Part of it is that I hardly eat anything one can cook. Partly it's because I never know when Beve will be home. Partly because I don't feel great. Put that all together in a pie, and it adds up to...nothing. Beve cooks. And cooks well. He also vacuums, does laundry, and just about everything else one might call domestic.
8. I do sew. I've been sewing all my life. Or at least 46+ years of it. I find it soothing. And love the creative process. As my aunt commented the other day, I DO dream in quilting designs. I look at others' designs and modify them to suit myself. Or dream up my own completely. And call it all fun.
9. I ALWAYS have at least two books going. No, that's a lie. I always have at least three. One I can finish in a sitting, one that will make me think, and one I read devotionally. I'm not rigid about this, though. I'm glad to add more to the mix if someone offers a suggestion. I just can't help myself.
Which leads me to ask--any suggestions?